Thank you to all of you who participated in our Block Party recipe challenge! Our judges were very impressed by the entries and had a hard time picking a winner. After much consideration they selected “Butch’s Famous Mac Salad”.
So, was it the special ingredients of the shrimp or the bacon that stood out to the judges? There is only one way to find out… try Butch’s Famous Mac Salad at your next barbecue and let us know what you think! Congratulations Butch!
Butch’s Famous Mac Salad
- 1 box of elbow macaroni – I use creamettes, green box. Cook till tender, drain off water.
- 1 qt or 1 ½ quarts Hellmans mayonnaise – No diet stuff, it kills the taste.
- 2 lbs bacon – Partially freeze, cut across the end and fry the bits until crisp, drain, try not to eat all of the tidbits.
- 1 ½ to 2 lbs shrimp – I buy pre-cooked ,frozen de-veined, and cut into pieces.
- 3 large tomatoes or 5-6 med – Cut into small pieces about the size of the last joint on your little finger.
- 1 green pepper – firm, hard, no softies. Cut into very small pieces. I buy one suitable for stuffing.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl except mayo. Add 2 thirds of the bacon and mix in. Then fold in the mayo, salt and pepper to taste, and use the remaining bacon for a topping. Chill and keep cool until serving! Try it you will love it!!